Founded in 1827 along the banks of the Little Blue River, Blue Springs has grown to nearly 56,000 residents. With a focus on community closeness and cooperation, Blue Springs offers affordable housing, numerous outdoor recreation opportunities and excellent health care. In 2011 the city unanimously passed a resolution to become a “Let’s Move!” community, in response to the First Lady’s call to the promotion and practice of healthy living.
Blue Springs is a growing community: in 1970 the population was 6,779. With the population now more than nine times that size, Blue Springs offers city-sponsored athletic leagues, community theater, the annulal Barbeque Blaze-Off and nationally-recognized schools.
The Blue Springs School District covers 58 square miles and has an increasing student body, growing by 200 students each year. Blue Springs is one of only five districts in the state to earn a perfect score on the Annual Performance Report for twelve years in a row (issued by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education). The district’s ACT score has reached a high of 23.2 and the Board of Education has ensured a stable financial situation for the district, pointing to excellence in years to come.